Shadow Architecture Vol. 1
Shadow Architecture is a book about art&architecture, informal economy, street trade and vendors, and their role in shaping modern cities all over the world.
The economy shapes both architecture and the ethics of its creators. A city focused only on profits may turn into nothing more than an Excel graph. However, the architects who design buildings without taking into account their future maintenance costs can create monsters that would pray on institutions’ budget and could slowly drive them into bankruptcy. The alternative economies which are being invented at times of crisis such as time banks, cashless exchange of goods and services, alternative currencies or expanding the informal economy, will surely influence both the architecture and organisation of the cities of tomorrow.
- Warsaw, 2012
- Edited by: Aleksandra Wasilkowska
- Coordination: Julia Missala
- Authors: Maciej Sieńczyk, Jan Smaga, Pedro Gadanho, Studio Miessen, Monika Sosnowska, Anna Kaplińska-Struss, Jerzy Goliszewski, Agnieszka Kurant, Przemysław Witkowski, Krzysztof Herbst, Andrzej Nowak, Joanna Erbel, Peter Mörtenböck, Helge Mooshammer
- Published by: The Other Space Foundation
- Distributed by: Fundacja Bęc Zmiana
- Language: English, Polish
- ISBN: 978-2-882503-95-4
- Book concept: Noviki and Aleksandra Wasilkowska
- Book design: Noviki
- Softcover 369 pages
- Print: Moś Łuczak, Poznań
- BLOG: www.shadowarchitecture.org